What do I need to set up a home theater?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
will
Occasional Contributor

What do I need to set up a home theater?

I've beenhearing a lot about home theater setups and how they're so much better for watching movies at home. What are the basic pieces I need? Can anyone point to me some good places for research?

Thanks.

Susan
New Content Contributor

Re: What do I need to set up a home theater?

You need a whole lot of patience! hehe

Oumbrellas
Occasional Contributor

Re: What do I need to set up a home theater?

You need video and audio.

For video, you need an HDTV and media sources like a DVD or Blu-ray player, HDRV programming (cable or satellite), or a video game console.

For audio, you need a home theater receiver to give you surround sound plus speakers and a subwoofer

The receiver acts as the control center for audio -- it processes audio signals, amplifies them, and sends them to your speakers. Some people use their home theater receivers to manage video as well as audio. By running all your video signals to a receiver, you can make a single video connection from the receiver to the TV. It's a great option if you want to connect multiple sources, like a cable box, a Blu-ray player, and a video game console or two, to your home theater system.

You'll need cables -- speaker cables, audio cables, and video cables -- to hook all this equipment up.

In the nice to have category are power protection (you want to safeguard your investment, right?) and a universal remote to replace all the remotes that come with each piece of equipment and save your sanity. Nothing like standing in front of the TV with a fist full of remotes and no idea which combination of them actually turns it on.

Tags (2)